My First

Blogging. Just one more thing that can take up more time that I don't have. I have been wanting to start a blog for a while now, so, at 10:31 pm on a Sunday night, this desire is becoming a reality. You have no idea how lucky you are! Please contain the excitement. I am having a hard time myself. Now down to business...

For my inaugural blog I would like to pitter patter about religion. Yes...this topic could go on for days, start wars, destroy relationships, or cause the huge family dinner at grandma's to end in a hissy, but I won't let it. I am a strong Christian. Missionary Baptist to be exact. I believe that we are each given a purpose in life, and it is up to us to determine how we go about fulfilling (or hindering) it. I wish I knew more about the Bible than I do. I try to study everyday, but I am only beginning to scratch the surface. I want to know what I am talking about when someone asks me about the Bible or my faith. Be knowledgeable. That's my goal. Besides, what's the point in being a Christian if I don't know what I believe in? How is that shining my light? 


I do not, I repeat, DO NOT want to ever become a person that forces my religion upon unwilling ears. Being arrogant or forceful with beliefs will only turn people further away. Jesus has never commanded people to follow Him. They choose to. I want to be steadfast and grounded in my faith, but I hope to never force it down another person's throat. Instead I want to lead by example. I want there to be a difference in my life and the way I choose to do things, and I want that difference to be noticeable. The random man yelling about sex, drugs, Hell, and sin into a microphone on a street corner on UT's campus (or anywhere else) doesn't have the right idea. No one is listening to him; plus he's annoyingly loud. The calm, reserved supporters, on the other hand, scattered throughout campus passing out small Bibles are doing a virtuous work. Those men and women do not demand anyone to take their pocket-sized guides to life, but they are still shining a light. Someone could be on the verge of giving up with nowhere else to turn, receive a Bible, and their entire outlook change after reading a few verses from Proverbs. The Bible sharers did not force religion upon this this person, but they did plant a seed.


In no way am I claiming to be perfect! No human is. I have already made my fair share of bad decisions, and I am sure to make more. Striving to be a better Christian and a positive example for others is what I want to do. I want to be a person to go to with questions or prayer requests or just to talk. I'm not looking for praise or to set myself up on a pedestal. I just want to shine my light.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts